Since 2004, I have increasingly focused my practice on general business and real estate matters, and often describe my business practice as spanning from startup to sale, and everything in between. In terms of subject matter, this means a broad array of transactional and other matters in the areas of corporate, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, intellectual property, real estate, contracts and other areas implicated throughout the business life cycle. In practice, this requires successfully navigating a wide variety of commercial relationships, including customers, contractors, vendors, lenders, employees and partners, and I particularly enjoy working with clients on the subtler nuances of fostering productive ongoing relationships and identifying and achieving their goals.
In general, I consider myself to be creative and business minded, focusing on efficient results and avoiding over-lawyering, over-billing and paralysis by analysis. This perspective has proven a good fit with private business owners that are used to rapidly absorbing information, taking risks and making executive decisions. Since many of my smaller privately held clients have dealings with public corporations and large law firms, my experience in those sectors has been useful in helping them navigate those somewhat different waters.
My real estate practice supports the business practice in terms of purchase and sale transactions and commercial leasing, and also encompasses work with real estate investors. Being an avid investor myself (I love dirt), I enjoy working with like-minded people on their partnership and investment issues, as well as sales, leasing, property divisions and title matters. I also operated a title agency for Attorneys’ Title Guarantee Fund from 2009 to 2013, which deepened my understanding of the real estate title and mortgage industries, and enhanced my ability to efficiently conclude deals. In 2020, with the help of a few contractors, some day labor and my 3 kids, I built my first off-grid home from the ground up and have enjoyed learning about the many green technologies now widely available.
Prior Legal Experience
Sun Microsystems: Senior Counsel, 2001 – 2004 Broomfield, CO
At Sun Microsystems I handled complex B2B & B2C transactions spanning the company’s broad offerings in computer services, software, processors and hardware. This breadth fit well with my need for variety and ongoing learning, and I worked primarily in the following areas:
- • Technology and equipment purchase, development, licensing and resale
- • Software development, hosting, maintenance, evaluation, escrow and licensing
- • Partner teaming, pre-investment engagement and other strategic alliances
- • Systems integration, testing, certification, pre-release evaluation and consulting
- • Open source, free ware and other product development issues related to third party technology
- • Accounting, support and other business process outsourcing
- • Referral, revenue sharing, sponsorship, promotion and joint marketing
- • M&A IP due diligence
- • Online software and service delivery issues (e.g., marketing, promotion, privacy, export, localization, system development, TOUs & IP protection)
DLA Piper: Associate Attorney, IT Group, 1998 – 2001 Chicago, IL
At the then Piper Marbury Rudnick Wolfe, I was fortunate to work on complex Fortune 500 technology transactions in a challenging and fast paced environment, and with a top notch team working at peak performance on:
- • Software systems integration, licensing, development, maintenance and escrow agreements for Level 3 Communication's initial network build out
- • Internet alliances for General Motors' online initiatives, including various joint marketing and investment alliances, and a joint venture with Ford, Daimler-Chrysler, Renault-Nissan, Oracle and CommerceOne to develop an online auto industry supplier trading exchange
- • Fiber optic construction, leasing and marketing agreements for Chicago Transit Authority and other clients
- • Telecommunications switch and other equipment procurement for various CLECs. Aggregate transaction amounts in excess of $500 Million
- • Representing International Softswitch Consortium as Assistant General Counsel on issues ranging from D&O insurance and corporate governance to antitrust compliance
- • Providing intellectual property and information technology support on M&A matters
Licensed – Illinois (1998, inactive) & Colorado (2002)
Prior Work Experience
WTTW Channel 11: Law Clerk to General Counsel, 1997 – 1998 Chicago, IL
This highly competitive internship afforded me great insight into the perspectives of in-house media counsel, where I delved deeply into rapidly developing bodies of law such as Internet jurisdiction, digital TV, advertising and indecency regulation. In addition to various contractual matters, I was tasked with developing a 10-year close captioning compliance plan.
FCC Mass Media Bureau: Law Intern to Bureau Chief, Summer 1997 Washington, D.C.
While drafting enforcement memoranda regarding indecency, tower regulation, license renewal and revocation, I was afforded great perspective on the inner workings of a federal regulatory agency.
Estudio Carvallo Maritimo: Intern, Summer 1996 Santiago, Chile
While drafting litigation reports to U.S. and U.K. parties for South American airline clientele, I was exposed to the practical machinations of international treaties and insurance regimes.
On Tape Productions: Operations Manager, 1994 – 1995 San Francisco, CA
In managing the operations of a 20-employee film/video post-production facility serving advertising, production and Silicon Valley clientele, I was able to hone my interpersonal and client skills in a demanding environment of high production standards. I was also able to practice identifying and improving the efficiency of business operations through streamlining processes and negotiating cost reductions.
Allied Digital Technologies: Production Coordinator, 1991 – 1994 San Francisco, CA
In coordinating production for a 50-employee division of post-production company, I learned many fundamental business skills, such as leading daily production meetings, conducting resource planning, engaging in large-scale ERP implementations, intermediating between competing needs, and managing at-risk customer relations. I very much enjoyed production planning and forecasting in an attempt to meet the needs of sales and customer service functions, where they often conflicted with the limitations of technology, personnel, quality control, printing, packaging and shipping functions.
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago, IL
Juris Doctor; Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, 1995 – 1998
- · Moot Court – International moot in commercial arbitration - Vienna, Austria
- · Book Award – Telecommunications Law and Policy
- · Writing Award - Best Chicago-Kent article submission: 1998 ASCAP copyright writing competition
University of Chile, Institute of International Studies Santiago, Chile
· International trade, direct investment and comparative law program, Summer 1996
Northwestern University Evanston, IL
Bachelor of Science in Speech, 1986 – 1990
- · Major – Radio, Television and Film communications with a technology emphasis
- · Additional Concentration - Latin American Studies
- · Scholarship Recipient – Four-year partial tuition Northwestern University scholarship
Language – Conversant in Spanish
Bar Licenses – Illinois (1998 - Inactive) and Colorado (2002)
· Board Member – Colorado Lawyers for the Arts (2002-04)
· Board Member - Colorado Film & Video Association (2005-07)
· Board President, Vice-President & Treasurer - Compass Montessori (2014-2017)
· House Captain – Rebuilding Together * Metro Denver (2002-05)
· Teacher - Jefferson County Business Resource Center – Teach Business Law to startup businesses (2015-Present)
· Teacher - Compass Montessori – Teach Non-Violent Communication to Elementary Children with an MA/LPC (2018-2020)
· Lecturer – Present on business law, corporate, intellectual property and personnel issues to various media, technology and business groups such as:
· National Association of Television Arts & Sciences, SIE Film Center & VidExpo
· Aspen Institute, Denver Public Art Program, Lakewood Arts Council & RiNo
· Colorado Film School, Rocky Mountain School of Art & Design & Regis University
· Rockies Venture Club and various presentations for the Colorado Lawyers for the Arts
· Award - Denver Business Journal – Best of the Bar Awards (Media & Communication 2005 top 3 finalist)
· Award - Best of the Best Award – Arvada and Golden 2016 and 2017
I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
, via our "Contact Us" page, or on www.linkedin.com.
Note: While I have successfully tried a few cases (a very long time ago) and resolved many disputes over the years, I am not a trial attorney nor do I seek out dispute resolution work. That being said, I routinely solve the disputes in which my clients find themselves, and attempt to do so efficiently and without the necessity of litigation. Similarly, while I do not provide tax, estate planning, litigation or trial work, I do routinely refer clients to my network of colleagues practicing in these and other legal specialties.
You can contact me by clicking below button.